When we look at our society, we see the negative effects of racism, xenophobia & differences in status that ultimately leads to the division of humanity. For humankind to be truly be united, one step in the right direction is if we started to focus more on how we’re all similar rather than concentrating on our differences.
Here are several ideas to which I think all humans share:
- We are all in the pursuit of happiness & the avoidance of suffering.
- We all have the same basic needs.
- We all use our own forms of language to communicate.
- We all grow old & pass away.
- We all share DNA that is very similar across humans.
- We all need oxygen to breathe.
So where do our differences come from?
Our differences originate from the development of human society and culture. Here are a few examples of how we end up creating differences.
- We create differences based on wealth & status.
- We create differences based on skin colour.
- We create differences based on gender identification & our acceptance thereof.
- We create differences based on our varying cultures.
- We create differences based on our belief system.
There is nothing wrong with having differences, but it starts to become a problem when we use the variations as justification for a harmful outcome. If we recognized the superficiality of our differences and realized how strikingly similar we truly are, I believe that we would then be united while moving forward into the future with a greater understanding of each other.
Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it.